OliviaWaite

Oliviate

Olivia Waite is a romance author, practicing feminist, and wide-ranging dilettante.

SPOILER ALERT!

The platonic ideal of an erotic romance.

Natural Law - Joey W. Hill

Alpha heroes don't do it for me. Cop heroes usually don't do it for me. Club scenes in books usually don't do it for me.

This book really, really did it for me.

It helps that it's femdom, which cuts down on the gender essentialism (a big turn-off for me in club scenes -- if all your subs are ladies and your doms are dudes, I lose faith in the world you're building). I loved how the hero had experience in the D/s scene but couldn't figure out his own head, and the heroine could spot what he was thinking a mile away but was nervous because this was essentially her first time topping solo. I liked that she saw through his and other subs' attempts to say the right thing for the wrong reason. I really, really hated who the villain turned out to be -- SPOILER, it's the black lady! and also the other black lady! a twofer! -- which felt cartoonishly unrealistic. I already hate this twist a thousand times more than I did last night, so it's possible this will continue to curdle my reaction as time goes on, but for the moment I'm still pretty blissed-out on the love story.

I did not expect to get so choked up at the end. That was a pleasant surprise.