OliviaWaite

Oliviate

Olivia Waite is a romance author, practicing feminist, and wide-ranging dilettante.

Go read Bradley Denton's "The Adakian Eagle." Right now.

Weird Detectives: Recent Investigations - Simon R. Green, Dana Cameron, Jonathan Maberry, Carrie Vaughn, CaitlĂ­n R. Kiernan, Richard Parks, Joe R. Lansdale, Charlaine Harris, William Meikle, Simon Clark, Sarah Monette, Lillian Stewart Carl, P.N. Elrod, Elizabeth Bear, Bradley Denton, Richard Bowes, Paula Guran, J

So I'm reading this anthology and enjoying it a lot and then I start reading Bradley Denton's story "The Adakian Eagle," which is about an elderly Dashiell Hammett stationed in WWII Alaska, solving a supernatural crime (or at least, a crime with supernatural elements). And if you think that sounds interesting, you should find any copy of this anthology (or Down These Strange Streets, where it also appears) at once, because it may be the best short mystery I have ever read.

It's about war, and power, and occupation, and race, and culture, and the past mixing up with the future, and trying to do the right thing, and failing to do the right thing, and it's so good I couldn't even speak for about an hour. I just put the book right down and started doing something else, because it didn't feel fair that any other story should have to follow this one and suffer by comparison.

I am now on a quest to read everything Bradley Denton has ever written, because if the other stories are even half as good then I'm going to be a very happy reader indeed.