OliviaWaite

Oliviate

Olivia Waite is a romance author, practicing feminist, and wide-ranging dilettante.

The Siren - Tiffany Reisz A brilliant, daring, and unforgettable book, with some of the most complicated people and situations I've ever seen in erotic fiction. I would echo much of Courtney Milan's very thorough review -- this book is far from comfortable, to my great delight.

The one place I disagree with Ms. Milan is: as a lapsed Catholic who devoured every gory and ecstatic story of martyrdom and sainthood (and whose own erotic romance often explores what it means to sin), I thought the angle on Catholicism was refreshingly close to certain church traditions less emphasized in modern times. (Cough cough ecstasy of St. Theresa cough.) I loved the way faith was dealt with in this story. I loved that it was complicated, and frustrating, and unbreakable all at the same time. I loved that sexual ecstasy, personal revelation, and religious experience are not mutually exclusive states.

But most of all, I loved the writing. The richness and the thoughtfulness and the shading of it. I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.