OliviaWaite

Oliviate

Olivia Waite is a romance author, practicing feminist, and wide-ranging dilettante.

A Woman Entangled - Cecilia Grant I have a soft spot for beautiful heroines who are well aware of their beauty and plan to leverage it. I've also got a soft spot for heroes who are pining away for the heroine from page one. Especially when you know there's more depth to her character than he realizes. So this was pretty much tailor-made for my delight. I expected to enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed the author's other books, and I was not disappointed.

It was an absolute pleasure watching these two characters move slowly, slowly toward realizing how they feel, and how it's changed, and what they really want to do about it. I like that the misunderstandings were more numerous at the start than at the end. I liked that there wasn't a big dark moment at the climax (does that count as a spoiler?), because sometimes I feel that the Dark Moment has become too predictable a structure. It doesn't work for all story shapes, especially ones that depend on incremental progress and transformation. And I really, really loved the last chapter. I will frankly admit that I teared up -- even as I was admiring the deft turns of phrase. That combination of intellectual stimulation and emotional power is exactly what I look for in a romance.